It has been 1 year since the Magento 1 ‘End of Life’ announcement was made. In June 2020 the open-source CMS platform announced a major upgrade to Magento 2 and ceased all platform support for their Magento 1 users.
While Magento 2 promised faster speed times, higher PHP compatibility and simpler user experience, merchants were left with the mammoth task of a re-platform to an entirely different framework and architecture.
In this blog, we go into more detail about what the 1 ‘End of Life’ journey looks like for merchants.
Knowing your need or want to replatform
Magento 1 merchants would have lost platform support as of June 30 2020 and while their e-commerce stores have more than likely been functioning up until now, websites may be prone to security vulnerabilities, integration issues and PCI compliance*.
(*PCI Compliance comes from the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) which is a security standard defined by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council. Failure to comply with this can lead to serious data breaches and credit card fraud.)
Ultimately, and eventually, merchants who no longer wish to stay on Magento 1 will have two choices:
- Upgrade to Magento 2
Choosing a new e-commerce platform
There are multiple e-commerce solutions on the market for merchants including BigCommerce, Shopify and WooCommerce. The platform of choice will really come down to the individual needs of the e-commerce business. These needs can be outlined in a request for proposal (RFP), a business document that announces a project, describes it, and solicits bids from qualified contractors to complete it.
Download our free platform comparison document below:
Writing your request for proposal (RFP)
The replatform away from Magento 1 onto another framework involves in-depth project and resource planning. This can initially be mapped out through a RFP document.
Document information can include:
- Project background/introduction
- Project goals
- Scope of services
- Third-party integration requirements
- Project timeline
- Any other considerations
The RFP breaks down website requirements on a granular level, which creates an opportunity to cross-check an e-commerce platform against business requirements to see if what platform is a viable solution.
Choosing an agency to work with
Project and business alignment is important when considering a trusted e-commerce agency to work with. Here are some tips for choosing an agency to work with:
- Check their case studies to see the types of merchants they’ve worked with
- Check their services and specialties
- Speak with someone in their team and ask questions related to your RFP
- Understand if your businesses share the same values
- Check their company LinkedIn/social profiles
Understanding the Magento migration
It’s important to understand the different stages of the replatform process – pre-migration, during migration and post-migration. Below are some tips to consider during all 3 stages:
- Understand your site and all its requirements
- Create a migration checklist
- Know your data is secure
- Have a backup of your site and all your data
- Document all third party integrations
- Notify users if there will be an outage
- Monitor your old website during the migration
- Maintain up-to-date communications with your users if need be
- Enforce strict QA processes
- Ongoing communications with your agency
- Enforce strict QA processes
- Testing, testing and more testing
- Check all third-party integrations are working as expected
- Refer to the migration checklist
- Notify your users
Finding ongoing platform support
Finding an agency you trust to manage your e-commerce website will allow you to pick up where you left off pre-migration, with the addition of a new and improved e-commerce experience for your users, and ongoing platform support well into the future.
A two-way honest, open and transparent business relationship is vital for the ongoing success of your e-commerce platform.
Over the years Matter. has worked with numerous clients to develop and grow their online presence. Whether it’s design, systems integration, branding, performance marketing or next-gen e-commerce, our diverse and talented team have led our clients to launch successful online business strategies.
If you’d like to work with us, fill out the form below or contact us here.